As an adult, caring for your smile becomes more important than ever. Without routine care, something as common as a cavity can actually increase the risk of infection or possibly even tooth loss. There are five ways you can help avoid adult tooth decay. With a preventive approach, you can safeguard the integrity of your smile.
5 Options for Preventing Adult Tooth Decay
- Brush Your Teeth: You should brush your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and again before bed. We suggest using a soft bristle brush with the ADA seal of approval on the package. Brushing your teeth can reduce the severity of plaque buildup.
- Floss Daily: Each day you should floss your teeth before going to bed. Doing so removes the bacteria and food particles that brushing cannot reach. Doing so can help reduce the onset of gum disease, as bacteria can cause gum inflammation.
- Dental Checkup: You need to have your teeth examined once every six months. A checkup allows the dentist to look for possible warning signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or other dental health issues. We can then treat the issue before it progresses. We can also screen for oral cancer.
- Cut Back on Sugary Foods/Drinks: If you consume sugary foods and drinks then bacteria can break down the sugar particles. Doing so coats the teeth in plaque, which can weaken enamel and inflame the gum tissue. Instead, try drinking more water and eating snacks consisting of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Dental Cleanings: As with a checkup you should have your teeth cleaned twice a year. A cleaning involves removing plaque buildup from the teeth, something that brushing and flossing alone cannot do. This reduces the risk of developing gum disease and can freshen breath and brighten teeth. If you have any questions, please contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.