Are you wondering: “Why do my jaws pop?” If you experience a popping or crackling sensation in the jaw, you may actually be experiencing the symptoms of a major oral health issue. TMJ disorder, also referred to as TMD, is a disorder related to the jaw joints that can cause a wide array of uncomfortable symptoms. Fortunately, treatment is often comfortable and minimally invasive.
Waco, TX TMJ Disorder Quiz
- True or False: A jaw that pops or clicks may be a warning sign.
- True or False: Jaw joint stress can be caused by a number of factors.
- True or False: Bruxism may be a factor in your TMD.
- True or False: We offer TMJ Therapy.
- True. Along with a popping jaw, other common symptoms include headaches, earaches, beck/should pain, and toothaches if the patient also grinds his/her teeth. Should you recognize any of these symptoms then contact our office right away for a diagnosis.
- True. Why do our jaw joints become strained? Injury, bruxism (teeth grinding), malocclusion, tooth loss, and stress can all lead to tension in the jaw joints. Without treatment, opening and closing the mouth fully can become difficult.
- True. Bruxism, or teeth grinding, places pressure on the jaw joints and can even damage teeth by wearing down enamel or causing cracks and chips to appear. The strain on the jaw joints can cause the patient to develop TMJ disorder.
- True. Dr. Locke actually practices both Centric Relation and Neuormuscuclar Dentistry, which allow him to identity and treat jaw joint disorders. In many cases the problem can be treated an oral appliance. Worn during sleep, the nightguard-like device repositions the jaws to relieve tension. If you think you may need treatment for TMJ issues or bruxism, please contact our office today. We can help ease discomfort in your jaw joints.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.