You should know that you need to visit your dentist every six months for a thorough checkup and cleaning. At Dr. Locke’s office, your checkup will involve more than merely looking at and cleaning your teeth. The health of your mouth is important to the health of your whole body, so your checkup should ensure that your mouth obtains a clean bill of health. Dr. Locke understands this oral-systemic connection, and he offers a comprehensive dental exam that includes the following components:
- Oral Cancer Screening and X-rays: Treatment for diseases like cancer have a higher probability of success the earlier the disease is detected. During your checkup, Dr. Locke will visually inspect your mouth to look for visible signs of oral cancer, gum disease, tooth decay, or other oral problems. In addition, our X-ray technology can help spot problems as they develop to increase your chance of early detection.
- Full Medical History: Various health conditions and medications can affect the potency of some dental treatments. Dr. Locke will take into consideration your full health history to determine appropriate treatment options. We will also evaluate your family health history to determine your risk of developing hereditary dental issues.
- Gum Treatment: At your checkup, Dr. Locke will examine the color and tenderness of your gums, as well as your periodontal pockets, for early signs of periodontal disease. Every checkup should be followed by a cleaning in which our dental hygienist will remove plaque and tartar from your teeth, and carefully remove the bacterial buildup from your gum line.
- Cosmetic Consultation: If your teeth are stained, gapped, chipped, or slightly misshapen, Dr. Locke can recommend one or more cosmetic dental procedures to perfect your smile. Some choices include teeth-whitening, dental bonding, crowns, and porcelain veneers.
- Education: One of the most important elements of your dental health is education. Dr. Locke and his staff will take special care to ensure that you thoroughly understand your oral condition and how to improve and maintain your good dental health.
Scheduling and attending a comprehensive dental exam twice a year is essential to your oral health and your physical health. To schedule your checkup and cleaning, call Dr. Locke’s Waco dentist’s office at (254) 776-4888. We welcome patients from Waco, Woodway, McGregor, Hewitt, and surrounding communities.