Treatments, procedures, and technology constantly change throughout the dental world. Scientists research and develop products to assist dentists in providing safe, comfortable, and even natural-looking treatments for their patients.
Because people enjoy showing off a beautiful smile, a cavity can be disheartening. Now, thanks to modern technology, people can choose white fillings (also known as dental composite or dental resin). Made of tooth-colored bonding resin, white fillings restore decayed teeth.
Other advantages include:
- Dentists can detect secondary decay beneath tooth colored fillings
- Damage to the filling can be easily repaired
- Insulate the tooth from excessive temperature changes
- Allows dentists conservatively repair cavities
- People with mercury allergies now have a safe alternative to amalgam
- Integrate with tooth structure for a strong, long-term repair
- Will not “leak” or change shape
When preparing to place a white-filling, less of the natural tooth is altered because dental resin bonds to the tooth rather than being packed tightly into the cavity. Decay is removed, the tooth is cleaned, and the composite ise placed in layers, using a specialized light to harden each layer. The filling will be shaped to fit the tooth, then polished to prevent staining.
If you experience pain due to a cavity, contact me, Dr. Corbet Locke, a Waco dentist, at (254)776-4888 to schedule an appointment. I proudly serve patients who reside in Waco, Woodway, Hewitt, and the Central Texas area. I provide my patients with options, including white fillings, to maximize their beautiful smiles.