Over time, a variety of factors can lead to dull smiles. How do you keep your smile bright? With the right steps, you can reduce the appearance of teeth stains and make the results of your teeth whitening procedure last longer. Find out what you can do to maintain a beautiful, brighter smile.
Brighten Your Smile
- Dental Cleanings: Our team and the American Dental Association recommend having teeth cleaned once every six months. A cleaning allows the doctor or the hygienist to remove plaque from the teeth. Plaque is created by bacteria and can coat the teeth and increase the chances of your teeth becoming stained. We remove the buildup and polish the tooth, which can give a brighter finish.
- Avoid Drinks with Dark Pigments: Drinks that contain dark pigments, such as soda, red wine, coffee, and tea can leave unsightly brown or yellow stains on the teeth. In order to help your teeth remain bright, we recommend cutting back on consumption or brushing your teeth after finishing a drink.
- Cut Back on Sugary Snacks: Foods that contain high amounts of sugar and other starches can lead to plaque buildup and subsequently, teeth stains. Instead, trying drinking water and having fresh fruit and vegetables for snacks. Chewing sugar-free gum can also curb the snacking urge while protecting your teeth from decay and discoloration.
- Brush and Floss Daily: You should brush your teeth twice a day, once in the morning and again before you go to bed. In addition, we recommend flossing your teeth before going to bed. Doing so helps remove stray food particles and bacteria from your mouth, reducing your risk of teeth stains.
- Consider Teeth Whitening: In some cases, you may need to have your teeth professionally whitened. At our office we can provide teeth whitening systems to remove discoloration.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Corbet Locke, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.