Did you know that with preventive dentistry you can often reduce your risk of gum disease or avoid the disease altogether? However, few people are aware of the steps necessary to avoid this serious oral health concern. Fortunately, we can offer a few simple tips to strengthen your gums against the onset of periodontal disease.
Gum Disease Prevention Tips
- Brush Your Teeth Every Day: First, select a toothbrush with the ADA seal of approval on the packaging. We recommend soft bristles. Then thoroughly brush your teeth in the morning and again before bed. Doing so helps remove stray food particles, reducing the appearance of plaque. Doing so eases the risk of gum disease.
- Floss Regularly: While brushing is crucial, it cannot remove food caught between teeth. Flossing does just that, preventing bacteria from breaking down trapped food particles and creating plaque to coat the teeth and inflame the gums. We recommend flossing each day before going to bed.
- Have Your Teeth Cleaned: Brushing and flossing cannot remove plaque buildup, so you will need a thorough dental cleaning twice a year. A cleaning involves using a manual or ultrasonic tool to remove buildup from the surface of the teeth. Without plaque, your gums remain free of the disease-causing inflammation.
- Be Aware of Early Symptoms: In the initial stages, gum disease is quite treatable. Once the disease reaches the later stages, you will need to manage it but will be unable to rid yourself of the disease. Early warning signs include gums that appear red or bleed easily when you brush or floss. You may also encounter soreness in the gingival tissue. Don’t ignore these symptoms; instead see your dentist right away.
- Be Aware of Certain Risk Factors: Periodontal disease risk can be increased due to a number of factors, including smoking, the use of certain medications, chronic illness, and genetic factors.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.