Do you frequently grind your teeth or clench your jaw? If so, then you may be suffering from an oral health disorder known as bruxism. How does teeth grinding impact our smile? Without treatment, this widespread disorder can lead to a number of serious consequences for your overall oral health.
Waco, TX Teeth Grinding Quiz
- True or False: Stress can lead to bruxism.
- True or False: Without treatment, you can chip a tooth.
- True or False: You may only grind your teeth during sleep.
- True or False: We can treat the issue with an oral splint.
- True. When patients experience daily anxiety, they may start to grind their teeth. Other common factors behind teeth grinding include TMJ disorder, malocclusion, and tooth loss. In order to treat the issue we will first need to identify the factors behind your grinding and clenching episodes. We will do this with a thorough examination.
- True. Over time, grinding places pressure on the teeth. In addition to wearing down enamel, patients may also chip or even crack their teeth. Treatment will then be necessary to prevent the onset of tooth decay or dental infection, which can compromise your oral health and potentially lead to tooth loss.
- True. Many people only have grinding episodes during sleep and may be unaware they require treatment. Common symptoms to watch for include sore or sensitive teeth, headaches, jaw pain, earaches, and facial discomfort. Patients who also suffer from TMJ disorder may notice a popping or clicking in the jaw.
- True. The oral splint is an appliance worn in the mouth. Similar to a nightguard, the device prevents the upper and lower teeth from coming into contact, ending further damage due to bruxism. We can also ease the issue with orthodontic treatment or restorations.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.