Were almost a month into the New Year, have your scheduled a cleaning yet? About once every six months we recommend patients undergo a routine dental cleaning to help maintain good oral health. Even if you brush and floss your teeth as recommended, this preventive visit is crucial for safeguarding your smile against gum problems and even cavities.
Reasons to Schedule a Cleaning
- The procedure freshens breath: A cleaning involves removing plaque buildup from your teeth. Plaque occurs as a result of bacteria, which means the buildup can worsen breath and lead to halitosis. However, removing the buildup can help address halitosis.
- You can reduce your risk of tooth decay: In addition to bad breath, plaque buildup can also weaken tooth enamel eroding this protective layer and allowing bacteria to reach the layers of dentin beneath. Soon, tooth decay can form. However, by having your dentist clean your teeth periodically you can reduce the risk of cavities.
- You can lower the chances of developing gum disease: Plaque buildup not only weakens tooth enamel and leads to halitosis, but can also cause gum inflammation. Soon gingivitis can form, leading to sore, red gums that bleed easily. Over time, the issue can lead to gum disease. In the early stages, a cleaning can help reverse the issue. However, once gum disease forms the disease can only be managed.
- The procedure takes just one visit: If you have a healthy smile, you should have your teeth cleaned about once every six months. If you have risk factors for gum disease, then the doctor may recommend more frequent visits.
- The doctor can also identify potential warning signs of other issues: A visit also allows the doctor to look at your teeth, gums, and jaws for signs of possible problems, such as oral cancer, tooth decay, bruxism, or TMJ disorder. If you would like to schedule a cleaning then contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX, DENTIST:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, contact our Waco, TX, dental office today by calling 254-776-4888. Our office welcomes patients in and around Waco, TX, including Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and the surrounding Central Texas communities.