With December comes the holiday season. Many of us will be gathering with friends and family, enjoying good food and good company. However, this season also means an abundance of foods and drinks that might not be a good choice for your smile. We have a few tips to help you keep your smile healthy this holiday.
Tips for Keeping Your Smile Healthy This Holiday
- Floss after each meal: When you floss you remove food and bacteria trapped between your teeth. You should floss at least once a day before you go to bed. However, if you expect to eat a lot of foods containing high amounts of sugar and other starches you can bring a container of loss with you, excusing yourself to the bathroom after a meal to clean your teeth. Doing this can reduce your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Drink water and tea: Water contains no sugar and can cleanse your mouth of harmful bacteria and food particles. Black tea contains agents that can help fight harmful bacteria, particularly the kinds that lead to tooth decay. Try these drinks in lieu of sodas at your holiday meal.
- Cut back on sugary foods: The occasional piece of pie or cake isn’t a big deal, but consuming large amounts of sugary foods can weaken your tooth enamel. Instead, try serving and/or eating fresh fruit, nuts, low-fat yogurt, and fresh vegetables as snack or after dinner treat.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned: A dental cleaning does what brushing and flossing can’t: remove plaque buildup. Removing the layers of plaque from your teeth freshens your breath, helps brighten the teeth, and limits your risk of developing cavities and/or gum disease. You should have your teeth cleaned about once every six months.
- Brush your teeth properly: You should brush your teeth twice a day, once when you wake up and again before going to bed. You need to brush for a minimum of two minutes per session. If you have any questions about keeping your smile healthy this holiday, contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX, DENTIST:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, contact our Waco, TX, dental office today by calling 254-776-4888. Our office welcomes patients in and around Waco, TX, including Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and the surrounding Central Texas communities.