Approximately 30 percent of people avoid going to the dentist because of fear or anxiety. Skipping dental appointments can increase your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental problems. If you’re nervous for any of the following reasons, Dr. Locke can help ease your anxiety with oral sedation.
Common Dental Fears
- Fear of Injections: Many people are afraid of needles. Modern techniques, like topical anesthetics, slow injections, and oral sedation, can help calm your body to make you feel comfortable without the pain.
- Lack of Control: You may feel on edge because you can’t control what’s happening inside your mouth. You should never try to solve a serious dental problem at home just because you’re afraid of the dentist. If you don’t understand what’s happening, Dr. Locke can explain every step of the procedure and how it will benefit your oral health.
- Missing Work: Adults miss over 164 million hours of work each year due to dental problems and treatments. Missing an hour of work for your professional checkup and cleaning seems like nothing compared to the time you may have to take off in the future, when your oral condition worsens. In other words, regular dental care will prevent the need for more time-consuming procedures later on. Oral sedation will make you feel comfortable and forget the stress from missing work.
- Sounds and Smells: Oral conscious sedation will ease your body so you’ll be unaware of what’s happening around you. In addition, we encourage you to bring headphones and music to help distract you and drown out background noise. Listening to music can also help lower your blood pressure and help you relax.
- Embarrassment: If you’re embarrassed to let your dentist see your smile, how do you feel when other people see it? Dr. Locke has over 25 years of dentistry experience, and he’s seen it all. Whether you’re afraid of drooling, bad breath, or yellow teeth, he is on your side to help restore your confidence.
If your fear stops you from visiting the dentist, you’re not receiving professional treatment and you could develop major dental problems. Oral sedation is a safe and effective treatment that will help you rest comfortably during your dental procedure. Dr. Locke is a member of the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation, and is devoted to helping you feel comfortable about your appointment and your smile. Contact our dentist office in Waco, Texas, at (254) 776-4888 to schedule an appointment.