Today is National Trivia Day! How much do you really know about oral care? The more you know and understand about your mouth, the better care you will take to protect it. Here are some fun dental facts to test your knowledge.
- William Addis created the first toothbrush while he was in a jail cell in 1780.
- The average toothbrush contains about 2,500 bristles.
- More people use blue toothbrushes than red ones.
- The average person uses 18 yards of floss per year, but should use 122 yards per year.
- About 73 percent of people would rather go grocery shopping than floss.
- Dental plaque is made up of about 300 different types of bacteria.
- Almost half of the bacteria in your mouth live on the surface of your tongue.
- About 78 percent of Americans have at least one cavity by age 17.
- The Academy of General Dentistry recommends replacing your toothbrush every three months.
- The average person spends about 12.1 hours a year brushing teeth, but should spend about 36.4 hours a year.
- About 85 percent of people can curl their tongue into a tube.
- Americans spend over two billion dollars on dental hygiene products each year.
- Tooth decay is the second most common childhood disease in the U.S. (The common cold is number one.)
Understanding your mouth is important so you know how to keep it healthy. Dr. Locke is dedicated to helping you learn about oral health and teaching you how to protect your smile. He will educate you about prevention, restorations, and cosmetics that may benefits your smile. Contact our dentist office in Waco, Texas, at (254) 776-4888 to schedule an appointment.