Studies show that people who suffer from dental pain often have irritability, behavior problems, and decreased focus and performance during the day. If you have a toothache, contact Dr. Locke immediately to treat the problem. However, some home remedies can temporarily relieve the sharp throbbing pain in your mouth.
- Painkillers: Aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and other over-the-counter painkillers can help sooth inflammation and pain.
- Clove oil: Clove oil has anesthetic and antibacterial properties to help numb the affected area and kill the bacteria that are causing your ache.
- Ice pack: Hold a cold ice pack to the outside of your cheek to help relieve the pain and reduce swelling.
- Elevation of your head: Keeping your head elevated will decrease the pressure on your teeth and reduce the throbbing pain.
- Hygiene: If food is trapped between your teeth, it could cause or aggravate the pain. Brush, floss, and rinse your mouth to remove food particles. A warm saltwater solution can also help relieve pain and swelling.
- Gauze: If your tooth feels sensitive or painful to the air, cover it with a piece of gauze or cotton to block it from the breeze.
- Cough drops: Lozenges contain menthol and benzocaine, two anesthetic agents, to help relieve your sore throat. These anesthetic compounds can also soothe tooth pain.
- Soft foods: If chewy or crunchy foods worsen the pain, switch to a diet of softer foods. This will reduce the pressure you put on your teeth and give your teeth time to rest and recover. You should also be careful of hot, cold, or spicy foods that can aggravate your tooth’s pulp and make the pain worse.
The best cure for a toothache is a visit to Dr. Locke’s family dentist office. A toothache is often caused by a cavity and other dental problems, and these problems need to be addressed by a professional to prevent further damage to your mouth. Contact Dr. Locke at our dentist office in Waco, Texas, at (254) 776-4888 to schedule an appointment. We welcome patients from Waco, Woodway, McGregor, Hewitt, and surrounding communities.