The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentists voted Angelina Jolie and Natalie Portman as the most kissable mouths in Hollywood because of their smooth, plump lips. When kissing your Valentine tomorrow, dry lips can be uncomfortable and painful for both parties. Try Dr. Locke’s tips to keep your lips hydrated and desirable.
How Valentine’s Day Can Dry Out Your Lips
Valentine’s Day habits are more inclined to dry out your lips. The colder weather outside makes the air drier, and the lack of moisture in the air can parch your skin and cause it to peel. Furthermore, kissing your loved one stimulates extra saliva production. For your mouth, the extra saliva is useful to help rinse away bacteria. To your lips, however, saliva can be damaging. As saliva dries, it damages the outer protective layer and dehydrates your lips.
Keep Your Lips Kissable
Moist lips will help make your Valentine kisses more enjoyable. Here are a few tips to help protect your mouth.
- Exfoliate your lips to remove dead, dry skin. Facial exfoliators can help keep your lips smooth, but so can your toothbrush. After you’re done brushing your teeth, rub the brush gently along your lips to help exfoliate the skin.
- Apply a moisturizing oil-based lip balm or cream to help prevent drying. Ingredients like beeswax, shea butter, and petroleum jelly are best for trapping moisture in your lips.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body and skin hydrated. Water is a natural way to keep your skin feeling smooth and fresh.
- As you prepare for your Valentine’s Day date, consider skipping the lipstick. Matte lipsticks can dry out your lips. It’s best to use lip products with vitamin E or glycerin to avoid drying and cracking. And don’t worry about the lack of lip color, ladies—about 70 percent of men believe a woman is more beautiful when she smiles than when she wears makeup.
- Using a humidifier indoors can help moisten the dry indoor air to keep your skin hydrated. When you leave the house and enter the dry outdoor air, apply a sunblock lip ointment to prevent sunburn and further dryness.
Healthy, beautiful lips accompanied by fresh breath and a beautiful smile will leave your mouth ready for romantic kisses. Dr. Locke’s tips can keep your mouth kissable and desirable all year long. Contact our dentist office in Waco, Texas, at (254) 776-4888 to request a consultation. We welcome patients from Waco, Woodway, McGregor, Hewitt, and surrounding communities.