What does a root canal involve? Many people feel nervous about this treatment. Fortunately, most find the procedure comparable to receiving a simple dental filling. If you have an infected or abscessed tooth then this is the best option for restoring the health and function of your smile. We also take steps to ensure your tooth looks completely natural afterward.
Try Our Root Canal Quiz
- True or False: An infection can be uncomfortable.
- True or False: A root canal allows the doctor to remove the infection.
- True or False: The procedure is comfortable.
- True or False: Your tooth will look natural following treatment.
- True. We develop an infection if tooth decay goes untreated. Once the tooth becomes infected or develops an abscess then the patient may experience a persistent toothache. In addition, there may also be swelling near the tooth, a bad tasting discharge, fever, or discomfort when the patient eats or bites down. If you encounter warning signs like these then we urge you to see your dentist right away. Otherwise, you may run the risk of losing the tooth.
- True. An endodontic procedure allows the doctor to open the tooth and remove the infected tissue. From there the doctor will clean the interior and the root canals before adding a restorative filling and placing a dental crown to complete the restoration.
- True. Prior to the procedure the doctor will administer a local anesthetic to ensure the patient feels comfortable. If the patient feels nervous or apprehensive, then the doctor may also recommend sedation. We can discuss your options for a comfortable root canal experience.
- True. We place a dental crown because the restoration not only looks natural, but also helps protect the tooth from further decay, discomfort, or infection. We will create the tooth to blend with your smile and provide decades of restoration. If you have any questions about our endodontic procedures or if you think you may have an infected tooth, then please contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX, DENTIST:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, contact our Waco, TX, dental office today by calling 254-776-4888. Our office welcomes patients in and around Waco, TX, including Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and the surrounding Central Texas communities.