Why do we need checkups and cleanings? After all, if we brush and floss frequently, shouldn’t that be enough? The fact is, routine visits allow a dentist to identify health risks and a cleaning can help prevent serious oral health problems. With regular visits you can obtain a lifetime of attractive and functional smiles.
Checkup and Cleanings Quiz
- True or False: You need an exam twice a year.
- True or False: A cleaning helps reduce gum disease risk.
- True or False: We can perform an oral cancer screening.
- True or False: A cleaning can reduce discoloration.
- True. The American Dental Association recommends adults and children over the age of two receive a checkup once every six months. During your exam, we will look for possible warning signs of cavities, gum disease, or other oral health concerns. Catching these issues in the early stages means we can potentially correct them without intensive restorative treatments.
- True. Over time, bacteria break down food particles and in the process coats the teeth in a layer of plaque. The plaque weakens enamel, increasing the risk of tooth decay, and inflames the gums, causing the onset of periodontal disease. By removing plaque, we reduce the risk of gum disease.
- True. As part of an exam we may perform a screening for signs of oral cancer. If we uncover any, we may recommend you to a professional for a biopsy. By discovering the presence of oral cancer early, you have an increased risk of making a full recovery.
- True. A cleaning ends with a thorough polishing of the teeth. In addition to fresher breath, you may enjoy a brighter smile as well. If you have serious discoloration, we may also suggest a teeth whitening procedure. If you have any questions about our preventive or cosmetic treatments, then contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX GENERAL DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.