At some point in your life, you have probably developed a toothache. Discomfort can be minor or excruciating, requiring immediate treatment. What causes a toothache? Can we do anything to prevent them? In order to keep your smile healthy and comfortable, you must understand the causes of tooth pain.
Waco, TX Toothache Facts
- They can be a warning sign: Often when a tooth develops a cavity or a fracture, the first indicator is a sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures. As the issue progresses, a persistent toothache may be experienced. If you have discomfort that lasts for more than 48 hours then you need to schedule an appointment for a thorough diagnosis.
- A variety of factors can cause tooth pain: Other causes of tooth pain include allergies, sinus infection, injury, enamel erosion, and food caught between teeth. We will examine your teeth to assess the exact cause of your discomfort.
- An aching tooth may require a filling: If you have a cavity, we may prescribe a filling. After administering a local anesthetic, we will remove the decayed portion of the tooth and apply a composite resin. This metal-free material looks completely natural. The material is the cured with a special light. The entire procedure takes a single visit.
- We can place a crown for fractured teeth: If a tooth has become cracked or experience severe decay, then a filling may not be enough. A dental crown fits over the visible part of the tooth, safeguarding the remaining structure and improving the health and appearance of your smile.
- You can reduce your risk of developing toothaches: With good oral hygiene, you can strengthen your teeth and reduce the chances of developing the decay or infection that can cause a toothache. We suggest brushing and flossing daily, and also have your teeth professionally cleaned once every six months.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.