Do you have an aching jaw or experience pops or clicks? What may seem like a minor annoyance can actually be the first indicators of a serious health issue. TMJ disorder, or TMD, affects over ten million people in the United States. What is TMJ disorder?
Waco, TX TMJ Disorder Quiz
- True or False: Jaw joint strain can cause TMJ issues.
- True or False: A popping jaw may be a warning sign of TMD.
- True or False: Patients may grind their teeth as well.
- True or False: An oral appliance can alleviate discomfort.
- True. Our temporomandibular joints connect the jaw and the skull. Without these joints, we would not be able to talk or eat. However, when the joints become strained the patient may develop a number of uncomfortable symptoms, including difficulty opening and closing the mouth completely.
- True. Common warning signs of TMD include headaches, jaw pain, toothaches, earaches, popping or clicking in the jaw, and neck and shoulder pain. If you think you may be experiencing these symptoms, then please schedule a visit with a dental professional as soon as possible.
- True. Often as a result of jaw joint stress, patients may also start grinding their teeth. Known as bruxism, this often occurs at night. Patients can eventually wear down their teeth or leave them chipped and cracked. Jaw discomfort and headaches also accompany teeth grinding episodes. Without treatment, bruxism can lead to infection or severe tooth decay.
- True. To ease the discomfort of TMJ disorder, you may benefit from an oral appliance. Worn at night, the device is similar in appearance to a night guard. However, the appliance is designed to reposition the jaw to ease strain and reduce TMD-related symptoms. If you have any questions about treatment or diagnosing this disorder, then contact our office right away.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX DENTIST
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, please contact us at (254) 776-4888. Our office welcomes patients living in Waco, Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and nearby cities.