Have you ever had a toothache? If so, then you know how uncomfortable the discomfort can be. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to avoid tooth pain. How do you prevent toothaches? With a focus on regular dental care you can enjoy a comfortable and healthy smile.
5 Ways to Prevent Toothaches
- Cut back on sugary snacks: Sugar and other starches can remain stuck on or between the teeth. Bacteria can break these particles down, leading to plaque buildup in the process and weakening tooth enamel. To avoid discomfort, trying snacks consisting of fruit, vegetables, yogurt, and nuts.
- Drink water: Water not only contains no sugar particles, but can actually help cleanse your mouth of food particles and bacteria. You can also stay hydrated, feel more energized, and avoid uncomfortable toothaches. Sodas, energy drinks, and yes, even sports drinks can all lead to a higher risk of cavities and uncomfortable tooth pain.
- Brush and floss daily: Brushing removes food from the surface of your teeth and helps decrease the severity of plaque buildup between dentist visits. Flossing removes what would be otherwise remain stuck between the teeth. You should brush your teeth twice a day (in the morning and again before going to bed) and floss your teeth at night everyday to maintain a healthy smile.
4. Don’t ignore sensitive teeth: If start to notice tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures then you may need to see a dentist. Persistent sensitivity may be a warning sign of a cavity. By treating the issue you can potentially avoid a toothache.
- Let the dentist clean you teeth: About once every six months you should see your dentist for a dental cleaning. A cleaning is the only way to completely remove the layers of plaque that weaken enamel and allow tooth decay to form. The procedure helps brighten the teeth and reduce the risk of gum disease. If you have any questions about avoiding discomfort or would like to schedule a visit for a cleaning then contact our office today.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX, DENTIST:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, contact our Waco, TX, dental office today by calling 254-776-4888. Our office welcomes patients in and around Waco, TX, including Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and the surrounding Central Texas communities.