Last week we discussed a few options for avoiding tooth pain. Now, we look at some of the most common causes. If you are wondering, “Why does my tooth hurt?” Then you need to look a number of different factors. Everything from the foods/drinks we consume to persistent teeth grinding (bruxism) can lead to uncomfortable toothaches.
Try Our Toothache Quiz
- True or False: Teeth grinding can lead to tooth pain.
- True or False: You may have discomfort due to poor oral hygiene.
- True or False: Your tooth may have a crack you can’t see.
- True or False: Ignoring the symptoms can lead to serious problems.
- True. If you grind your teeth, the pressure can lead to aches and discomfort. In addition, the repeated grinding can also wear down the enamel, leading to a high chance of decay and infection, as well as chipped or fractured teeth. If you experience the symptoms of bruxism, including sore teeth, jaw pain or headaches, then see the dentist for a diagnosis.
- True. If you don’t brush and floss properly, or avoid seeing the dentist for a cleaning, plaque buildup can weaken enamel, leading to the onset of tooth decay. Cavities can lead to tooth sensitivity and toothaches. Don’t ignore pain in your tooth that doesn’t subside, see your dentist right away.
- True. If you chip a tooth the damage is obvious. However, a fracture may be practically invisible to the naked eye. Should you experience sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures to develop a toothache, then see your dentist. The doctor can uncover any cracks you haven’t been able to see and treat the issue, easing discomfort.
- True. If you ignore your initial pain then the risk of a dental infection increases. The infection can potentially mean losing the tooth altogether.
ABOUT YOUR WACO, TX, DENTIST:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Corbet Locke, DDS, contact our Waco, TX, dental office today by calling 254-776-4888. Our office welcomes patients in and around Waco, TX, including Hewitt, McGregor, Woodway, and the surrounding Central Texas communities.